Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a great audio interface for your money. It is solidly built, has clear sound, and a low latency. The price is unbeatable for what you are getting, especially if you are new to the world of home recording. You can always upgrade to something fancier later. But for now, this is such a great choice for an easy way to record music at home.
- Good sound.
- Lower latency, as low as 3.06 ms on Windows, lower on Mac.
- Focusrite fixed the issue with hot pickups so there’s no more clipping.
- Solid build quality.
- Can’t set headphones to monitor separate output like on the 2i4 and higher up models.
- May encounter some bugs with the Windows drivers.
- No MIDI or S/PDIF inputs or outputs.
- iPad Not Supported
Why not some honest Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Reviews now? I am in love with this Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. It works great for anyone with a home studio that wants to sound like it came from a professional recording studio. Not only that, I have also found it very easy to use. It is also well worth the price for what you get.
I generally use it to record vocals and guitar. It works well on recording both at the same time if you want, as it has two inputs and two outputs. With its convenient USB interface, it is no wonder that this model of the Focusrite Scarlett has been growing in popularity.
I have been using it for a few months now, and am very satisfied with the way it works. I have used the first generation before, but this second generation I have found to be a bit of an improvement on the original, and will likely continue using this one. So, sit back, relax and dig into my honest Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews.
Why the 2i2 is great for anyone
I have found that this unit is really easy to use. I think whether you are a seasoned musician, or are just beginning your journey into home recording, you will find this audio interface easy to use. No additional firmware is necessary to use this interface. It is as easy as plugging in and playing.
Not to mention that it can come with Pro Tools, which is great recording and editing program for your music. This is just awesome. You can get it for around $150 with the Pro Tools pack. Again, this is great for a beginner musician as you can use the Pro Tools to create and record your music, and use the 2i2 to get the music you want recorded. I always use Pro Tools, and it is great that it comes with a newer version to update my own. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews below will shed some light on its amazing features.
The best features of the 2i2
So, what is the difference and benefits of the 2i2? I find the second generation to be an upgrade from the previous version.
Here is a list of some of the features you will get on the 2i2:
- Recoding two mics or instruments at once - With the two input and output USB 2.0 audio interface, it makes recording your music so much easier. It also has two Scarlett mic/instrument preamplifiers, 24 bit/192kHz and USB bus power.
- Compatible with your computer - Whether you are a Mac or PC person, the Pro Tools | First & Ableton Live Lite recording software will work with it. That means you can order this no matter what, and can reap all the benefits of it.
- Mic preamp and instrument input - As mentioned above, this version of the Scarlett comes with mic preamp features that has a more even gain structure. This means I have been able to set my levels with better accuracy. The sound I can have recorded from my guitar sounds great, no matter what.
- Conversion and sample rates - This Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 makes bringing my recordings into digital audio super simple. The converters I think make the difference. It always sounds crisp and clear. There is never any hissing or buzzing, which we all know can ruin a recording. Not so with the Scarlett. The better sample rates on the 2i2 rather than the first generation makes the biggest difference.
- Super-low latency - This is the second biggest difference between the first and second generation Scarlett. This machine has round trip latency as low as 2.74ms. This makes working with the Scarlett so easy.
What about the sound quality - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews?
Although the Scarlett’s preamps are similar in design to Focusrite’s other audio interfaces, this interface provides a good choice for quality home recordings. For what you get, this is a pretty good machine. There are other budget style recording systems that offer a slightly better preamp for in microphone, line and instrument modes, but not enough to discount the other good reasons for choosing this interface.
The analog to digital converter has a pretty dynamic range of 105 dB, and alternately, the digital to analog converter is at 104 dB. This is very good, but still slightly behind some other less expensive interfaces. But generally, the sound quality is quite good.
The ability that the Scarlett has to record and mix at up to 96 kHz is pretty impressive. It is a nice feature of the Scarlett 2i2 that may not come on other cheaper interfaces, and could make the difference in your recording. I have found an improvement using recording at this standard.
The look of the Scarlett 2i2
This is a very attractive audio interface. The scarlet red color that it comes in is very nice. It is also very sleek looking, and with all the accessories easily accessible. I find it is also very durable. I can travel with it to friend’s homes to record very easily and it will not get damaged. I think it will hold up for long term use, as it does not feel so flimsy.
The knobs can be easily maneuvered and adjusted in a very smooth manner. The sturdy construction, small size, and very simple connections makes this a great portable option, as well for those just beginning to record in their homes. It is a lightweight unit, but seems quite durable.
What comes with the Scarlett 2i2?
When you order a Scarlett 2i2, you will want to know what it comes with, and what you will have to buy separately. So it comes with just the actual audio interface box. This means no cables, wires, or headphones. No USB cords either. Everything else must be purchased separately.
However, it does come with some handy software:
- Focusrite Control routing and monitoring application
- Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite
- Softube Time and Tone Pack
- Pro Tools- First Focusrite Creative Pack
- Ableton Live Lite music making software
- 2 GB of Loop masters sounds and samples
- Novation Bass Station VST and AU plug-in synthesizer
So, just the software that comes with this audio interface makes it worthwhile. There are tutorials and stuff to make learning to use this software easy.
Other Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews
So I am not asking you to take my word for it. There are many other Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews out there and will basically agree with what I have to say. It is the best selling audio interface out there. Many people really like it.
Here are some of the things other consumers are saying:
- The new aesthetic design of the interface makes it easier to see your settings at a glance.
- The newer box is faster to boot up.
- Macs and Linux users have lesser issues that those with a Windows 10, some have found it to be unstable. It may require you to download both the driver update and the firmware update from Focusrite’s website. I use a Mac, so this is a recommendation from another reviewer.
- The customer service and support by Focusrite when necessary has been very good.
- The Scarlett comes with one of the better software bundles than you are going to find anywhere else.
- Works great with any professional microphone.
- It has a simple, compact design, and it is easily an all in one machine.
- Some people have had driver issues, but hey! that can be resolved by contacting the customer service of Focusrite who are very helpful.
So basically, this is a great audio interface for your money. It is solidly built, has clear sound, and a low latency. The price is unbeatable for what you are getting, especially if you are new to the world of home recording. You can always upgrade to something fancier later. But for now, this is such a great choice for an easy way to record music at home.
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews all say most of the problems with the unit can be solved. Either by downloading the right software or contacting the supportive customer service line. For the few months that I have been using the Scarlett 2i2 second generation, I have found it a great addition to my music arsenal. If you are looking for more inputs and outputs, Focusrite has something for that, but I only need my microphone and guitar, and it is great for just that. It is also just USB, so no MIDI or iPad support. I found this not to be too big of a problem though.
The software alone is a great reason to choose this interface. Some of this programming you cannot get anywhere else. So, at the end of the day, I would recommend this audio interface. I am glad that I could give you my honest Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 reviews without being biased; I am using it so I know how well it works! You should try one too!